In the world of infrastructure as code (IAC), there are many tools to choose from. Two popular options are VMware vRealize Automation (vRA) and Terraform. While both have their strengths, there are compelling reasons to choose vRA over Terraform.
- End-to-End Automation: vRA automates the entire software-defined data center (SDDC) lifecycle, from provisioning to decommissioning. Terraform is more limited, focusing only on infrastructure provisioning.
- User Experience: vRA provides a user-friendly interface, making it easier for non-technical users to request and manage infrastructure. Terraform, on the other hand, requires more technical expertise to use effectively.
- Integration with VMware: vRA integrates with other VMware products, such as vSphere, NSX, and vSAN, allowing for a seamless experience. Terraform can also integrate with VMware, but it requires more manual effort to set up the integration.
- Enterprise-Grade Security: vRA includes enterprise-grade security features, such as role-based access control and multi-factor authentication. Terraform does not have built-in security features, requiring additional tools or manual effort to secure the environment.
- Robust Compliance Features: vRA includes compliance features, such as blueprints that enforce specific policies and standards, making it easier to meet regulatory requirements. Terraform does not have built-in compliance features, leaving it up to the user to ensure compliance.
- Strong Support: vRA has a large, global community of users and is backed by VMware, a well-established company in the tech industry. Terraform is a relatively new tool with a smaller community, making support and resources more limited.
In conclusion, vRA offers a complete automation solution for the SDDC, making it a great choice for enterprises that want a user-friendly interface, strong security features, robust compliance features, and strong support. Terraform, while a powerful tool, is better suited for infrastructure provisioning and requires more technical expertise and manual effort to secure and ensure compliance.